(When you cannot keep painful events and emotions from coming your way.)
What Is Radical Acceptance?
1. Radical means all the way, complete and total.
2. It is accepting in your mind, your heart, and your body.
3. It’s when you stop fighting reality, stop throwing tantrums because reality is not
the way you want it, and let go of bitterness.
What Has to Be Accepted?
1. Reality is as it is (the facts about the past and the present are the facts, even if
you don’t like them).
2. There are limitations on the future for everyone (but only realistic limitations need
to be accepted).
3. Everything has a cause (including events and situations that cause you pain and
4. Life can be worth living even with painful events in it.
Why Accept Reality?
1. Rejecting reality does not change reality.
2. Changing reality requires first accepting reality.
3. Pain can’t be avoided; it is nature’s way of signaling that something is wrong.
4. Rejecting reality turns pain into suffering.
5. Refusing to accept reality can keep you stuck in unhappiness, bitterness, anger,
sadness, shame, or other painful emotions.
6. Acceptance may lead to sadness, but deep calmness usually follows.
7. The path out of hell is through misery. By refusing to accept the misery that is
part of climbing out of hell, you fall back into hell.